Roberto Barata, born in Lisbon, Portugal, works professionally with dogs and other species since his 17 years old, being an integral part of his life over this years. At the moment, he is in Denmark in cooperation with the etologi.dk. His native language is Portuguese, communicates professionally in English and Spanish and has a little fluency in French and Danish.
- Animal behavior modification in dogs, cats, and horses.
- Tutor at Ethology Institute.
- Personalized instruction, talks, conferences, seminars, workshops, and scientific consulting and advising in mentoring, life coaching, animal behavior, and anthrozoology to companion animal owners (adults and children), privates, professionals in the animal field, companies, private entities, academic and governmental institutions, and NPO/NGO.
- Author and contributor in the development of technical manuals, translation, articles and other work in the scientific community.
- Companion animals and human relationship in society (anthrozoology) independent researcher and implementer in animal training, studying the professionals daily life challenges and give them professional mentoring skills.
- Diploma of Expert in Human-Animal Studies/Anthrozoology (Bircham International University).
- Certificate in Advanced Applied Ethology Diploma (Ethology Institute).
- Professional Instructor of Instructors Diploma (teaching and research) and certified Juez CCE (ANACP).
- Diploma and professional license of dog trainer, behaviorist, and dog training certification in defense and surveillance operations (ANACP).
- Military Dog Trainer Certificate (Portuguese Air Force).
- AAA/AAT Certificate (Harcum College).
- Comprehensive Canine Behaviour & Aggression Therapy Certificate (CCS).
- Certified Pet Dog Trainer/Behaviour Therapist with IPDTA Certification (CCS).
- Academy of Dog Training & Behaviour Approved Instructor (ADTB).
- Auxiliary Veterinary Technician Diploma (Master-D).
- Certified education in Leadership, Life Coaching (ACELC, PCELC Accreditation) and Mentoring; Human-Companion Animals interaction; Behavior Management and Psychology; Psychosociology at work and interpersonal skills management; Social psychology; Mindfulness (Master); CBT; NLP (ABNLP) and Critical Thinking.
- CGC Approved Evaluator (American Kennel Club).
- Portuguese Instruction Skills License (Administration Business School).
- During his professional career, he worked through several areas of animal field (operational/military, sports, social, breeds club, pet sitting, dog walking, shelters).
He is a modern implementer and precursor of an anthrozoological view in animal training.
Due to the lack of this view in animal training, he had to create and adjust models based on scientific evidence and empirical knowledge, demystifying popular theories, concepts and current approaches in animal training, including trainer’s daily life challenges, promoting their self-reflection and individual professional development, incorporating other professional areas within the animal training to create a different and professional model in order to bring a serious recognization to the animal training world.
His differentiated approach to animal behavior modification follows the natural communication, the interspecific understanding and critical thinking as a tool for professional and personal improvement. He supports and respects the science by updating his work regularly and rejecting extremist/moralistic currents or the misrepresentation of science in favor of social, economic or political trends.
He defines his work in the same way he enjoys his life: “Respect for silence and individual space, freedom in critical thinking, questioning, simplicity and precision in our actions. Nosce te ipsum– Know thyself.”
- Scientific community presence: Springer | Research Gate
- Monthly articles in the Portuguese newspaper “Os bichos”.
- Commentary about the use of shock collars. Portuguese newspaper “Os bichos”.
- Interview for the Portuguese newspaper “Notícias de Loures”
- Commentary about the dangerous breeds in Portugal. Portuguese newspaper “Notícias de Loures”
- Article about puppies at “Bark Magazine”
Daily work moments
Letter from Dr. Roger Abrantes
From the first moment, I met Roberto, I identified in him some of the unique characteristics that distinguish the competent from the excellent student. It was quite evident that he had a good head and flair for animal training. However, what struck me most were his above-average determination and dedication to learning.
Roberto took one course at the time even having to leave his country, traveling a long way, to complete his mandatory practical training and proficiency verifications. All that, he did without complaint, and with the same eager and determination, he showed on his very first day at the Institute.
I was, personally, especially pleased the day he graduated as CAAE. The EIC had one more high-quality graduate and the animal training world one more excellent trainer and instructor.
It has, indeed, been a privilege to have been Roberto’s tutor. I’ve been fortunate to have had a fair number of exceptional students throughout my long 30+ years career. Among them, a dozen or so stand head and shoulders above all others; Roberto is one of them.
Portugal and the Lusophone community are fortunate to have Roberto Barata. With him, animals, animal trainers, and owners are in good hands.
Ph.D. in Evolutionary Biology and Ethology
Ethology Institute Cambridge—Scientific Director
Approved by Ethology Institute
I'm an Ethology Institute Approved Regional Education Provider (AREP) and Ambassador. This international approval ensures high standards of the content and quality of all courses and services provided.