Roberto Barata works professionally with dogs and other species since his 17 years old, being an integral part of his life over these years. He lives in Denmark in synergy with the etologi.dk, and his work focuses in companion animal families teaching, study and research of their relationships, and mentoring/tutorship for professionals and students in the animal behavior modification field.
He is a modern implementer and precursor of an anthrozoological view in companion animal training.
Due to the lack of this approach in animal training, he created and adjusted theoretical and practical models based on scientific evidence and empirical knowledge, demystifying popular theories, concepts, terms, and the current politically correct approaches and trends in the animal training world. All models aim to give different perspectives and tools to professionals so that they develop their self-reflection, critical thinking, and professional development, including their daily life challenges with companion animal families.
He incorporated other professional social science areas in the animal behavior modification educational programs, creating a different professional model, and bringing real and adapted topics for the daily trainer’s challenges, continuing his longtime work to create a credible recognization to the animal behavior modification world.
His best-ever seminars (so far) are:
- Critical thinking and the scientific method for animal trainers.
- Teach without speech in animal training: Speak less, observe more.
- More than training, a human science-based view.
- A new view about animal training: Anthrozoology, Mentoring & Animal Behavior.
- Aggressive and Fearful Behavior: Understanding misunderstandings
- Dog as part of the family: Be an exemplary dog owner. ( from the etologi.dk program “Hunden som en del af familien”)
His differentiated approach to animal behavior modification follows the natural communication, the interspecific understanding, the respect for the species nature, and the use of critical thinking as a tool for professional and personal improvement, without harmful or coercive techniques.
He supports and respects the science by updating his work regularly, rejecting labels for his work, extremist/moralistic trends, or the misrepresentation and manipulation of the science and the scientific method in favor of social, economic, political trends or agendas. He is a “label-trend free” in that way.
In his daily work, he works as advisor, mentor and coach for companion animal families, professionals in the animal behaviour modification field, and institutions worldwide.
In synergy with etologi.dk, Denmark, several on-campus, online courses, and technical manuals have been developed for companion animal families, animal behavior technicians, students, veterinarians, pet sitters, animal shelter volunteers, and other professionals in the animal field.
He also works with companies out of the animal behavior field, implementing his ethological and behavioral knowledge, among other education in the area, for team management, leadership, and general quality improvement.
He still finds time for some pro-bono projects and for his independent research in the humans and companion animals relationship and companion animals in society field, sharing them in his on-campus and online lectures and seminars, for students, professionals, and participants around the world.
His mission in his work in the same principle that he enjoys his life:
“Respect for the silence and individuals, freedom in critical thinking and opinion, questioning everything, simplicity, and precision in our actions, without spending time and energy in unnecessary things. Nosce te ipsum– Know thyself.”
- Animal Behavior Therapist (dogs, cats, and horses).
- Animal Behavior Instructor and Researcher at Ethology Institute.
- Author of the course “Human-Animal Studies in Animal Training” at Ethology Institute. (Available in 2021)
- Author and implementer of the “Exemplary Dog Owner- Dog as part of the family” (“Hunden som en del af familien”) program throughout Denmark in synergy with etologi.dk.
- Instructor and researcher: on-campus, online and in-person personalized courses, instruction, talks, conferences, seminars, workshops, and scientific consulting and advising in mentoring, animal behavior, and anthrozoology for companion animal families (adults and youths), professionals in the animal field, companies, private entities, academic and governmental institutions, and NPO/NGO.
- Scientific advisor at Portuguese Animal Observatory.
- Author and contributor in the development of technical manuals, translation, articles, research, among other work in the scientific community.
- Companion animals and human relationships in society (anthrozoology) independent researcher and implementer in animal behavior modification, studying the professional’s daily life challenges and provide them with professional tools and practical skills.
- Advisor and practitioner in team management, leadership, and general quality improvement for companies.
- BSc in Ethology, and Expert degree in Human-Animal Studies (Anthrozoology,) by Bircham University.
- Diploma in Advanced Applied Ethology (dogs, cats, horses,) Applied Pet Ethology (cats and horses,) Applied Canine Ethology, and Certified Professional Dog Trainer, by Ethology Institute Cambridge.
- Professional Instructor of Instructors Diploma-teaching and research-license 2444; Certified Juez CCE-license 2674; Diploma and professional license of dog trainer-license 3745, behaviorist-license 3746, and dog training certification in defense and surveillance operations-license 3747, by ANACP.
- Specialist Diploma in Advanced Canine Nutrition, Pet Nutrition, Raw Food, Canine Homeopathy, Essential oils, and Herbalism, by DNM University.
- Comprehensive Canine Behaviour & Aggression Therapy Certificate-highest honors, and Certified Pet Dog Trainer/Behaviour Therapist with IPDTA Certification, by CCS.
- Animal Assisted Therapy/Activities Certificate, by Harcum College.
- Canine Good Citizen, Puppy, Urban, Community Canine, Trick Dog- license 92303, AKC Temperament Test Approved Evaluator- license 107545, AKC Fit Evaluator, by American Kennel Club (AKC) with official authorization from AKC to use the CGC program outside the US. He implemented the program for one year in Portugal, adapting it to the theoretical and practical program he already used (and uses) for the individual dog owners’ education.
- Military Dog Trainer Diploma, by Portuguese Air Force.
- Academy of Dog Training & Behaviour Approved Instructor, by ADTB.
- Auxiliary Veterinary Technician Diploma, by Master-D.
- Portuguese Instruction Skills License- CAP/CCP F584684, by Administration Business School.
- Certified education in Critical thinking; Leadership, Life Coaching (ACELC, PCELC Accreditation) and Mentoring; Human-Companion Animals interaction; Behavior Management and Psychology; Psychosociology at work and interpersonal skills management; Social psychopedagogy; CBT; NLP (ABNLP); Lean expert; Project and quality management; ISO 9001:2015 System auditor.
- During his professional career, since 2003, he worked and co-worked through several areas, schools, and companies of animal field (operational/military, sports/competition, social, educational, breeds club, pet sitting, dog walking, shelters, hotels, animal centers). He is also a former member of institutions such as APDT, PDTE, and PPG.
Articles, publications and other contributions in the scientific community.
Interviews, articles, and others.
- Monthly articles in the Portuguese newspaper “Os bichos”.
- Commentary about the use of shock collars. Portuguese newspaper “Os bichos”.
- Interview for the Portuguese newspaper “Notícias de Loures”
- Commentary about the dangerous breeds in Portugal. Portuguese newspaper “Notícias de Loures”
- Article about puppies at “Bark Magazine”
From Dr. Roger Abrantes
From the first moment, I met Roberto, I identified in him some of the unique characteristics that distinguish the competent from the excellent student. It was quite evident that he had a good head and flair for animal training. However, what struck me most were his above-average determination and dedication to learning.
Roberto took one course at the time even having to leave his country, traveling a long way, to complete his mandatory practical training and proficiency verifications.
All that, he did without complaint, and with the same eager and determination, he showed on his very first day at the Institute.
I was, personally, especially pleased the day he graduated as CAAE. The EIC had one more high-quality graduate and the animal training world one more excellent trainer and instructor.
It has, indeed, been a privilege to have been Roberto’s tutor. I’ve been fortunate to have had a fair number of exceptional students throughout my long 30+ years career. Among them, a dozen or so stand head and shoulders above all others; Roberto is one of them.
Portugal and the Lusophone community are fortunate to have Roberto Barata. With him, animals, animal trainers, and owners are in good hands.
Ph.D. in Evolutionary Biology and Ethology
Ethology Institute Cambridge—Scientific Director
Roberto Barata is an Ethology Institute Approved Regional Education Provider (AREP), Tutor and Ambassador. This restricted international approval ensures high standards of the content and quality of all courses and services provided, sound scientific knowledge, and a respectful relationship with the natural needs of other species, without using harmful or coercive techniques to modifying their behaviours.
Roberto Barata is a trainer who has successfully archived the International Positive Dog Training Association’s theoretical and practical certification and belongs to a restricted group of certified trainers.
This international certification ensures that all methods and behavior modification protocols do not include any kind of physical abuse, violence, or harmful techniques.
In 2020, Roberto won four categories of CCS/IPDTA AWARDS:
1. CCS/IPDTA Behaviour Therapy Excellence 2020
2. CCS/IPDTA Dog Training Excellence 2020
3. CCS/IPDTA Education Award 2020
4. CCS/IPDTA Humane Dog Training Award 2020