Roberto Barata, born in Lisbon, Portugal, works professionally with dogs and other species since his 17 years old, being an integral part of his life over this years. He lives in Denmark in cooperation with the etologi.dk. His native language is Portuguese, and communicates professionally in English and Spanish.
He is a modern implementer and precursor of an anthrozoological view in animal training.
Due to the lack of this approach in animal training, he created and adjusted theoretical and practical models based on scientific evidence and empirical knowledge, demystifying popular theories, concepts, terms and the current politically correct approaches and trends in the animal training world. All models aim to give different perspectives and tools to professionals so that they develop their self-reflection, critical thinking, and professional development, including their daily life challenges with companion animal owners.
He incorporated other professional areas, such mentoring and several social science fields, in the animal behavior modification educational programs, to create a different and professional model, bringing real and adapted topics for the daily trainer’s challenges and, continue his battle to create a credible recognization to the animal behavior modification world.
His best-ever seminars (so far) are: Critical thinking and the scientific method in animal training; Anthrozoology in animal training; Teach without speech in animal training: Speak less, observe more; More than training, a human science-based view; A new view about animal training: Anthrozoology, Mentoring & Animal Behavior; Dogs as part of the family: Be an exemplary dog owner. (adaptation from the etologi.dk technical manual for dog owners “Hunden som en del af familien”)
His differentiated approach to animal behavior modification follows the natural communication, the interspecific understanding, the respect for the species nature, and the use of critical thinking as a tool for professional and personal improvement.
He supports and respects the science by updating his work regularly, rejecting extremist/moralistic currents or the misrepresentation and manipulation of the science and the scientific method in favor of social, economic or political trends or agendas. He is a “label-trend free.”
In his daily work, he works individually giving advising, consulting and coaching for companion animal owners and professionals in the animal behavior modification field.
In collaboration with etologi.dk, Denmark, several on-campus and online courses and manuals have been developed for companion animal owners, animal modification technicians and students (animal trainers), veterinarians, pet sitters, animal shelter volunteers, and other professionals in the animal field.
He also works with companies out of animal behavior field, implementing all ethological and behavior principles (mixed with his education in the area) for team management and leadership, and a general quality improvement.
He still finds time for his independent research in the humans and companion animals relationship and companion animals in society field, sharing them in his on-campus and online lectures and seminars, for students, professionals, and participants around the world.
He defines his work in the same way he enjoys his life:
“Respect for silence and personal space, freedom in critical thinking, questioning everything, simplicity, and precision in our actions. Nosce te ipsum– Know thyself.”
- Animal Behavior Therapist (dogs, cats, and horses).
- Tutor at Ethology Institute.
- Author and implementer of the “Exemplary Dog Owner” program throughout Denmark in collaboration with etologi.dk.
- Author of several personalised courses for companion animal owners and professionals.
- On-campus, online and in person personalized courses, instruction, talks, conferences, seminars, workshops, and scientific consulting and advising in mentoring, life coaching, animal behavior, and anthrozoology for companion animal owners (adults and children), professionals in the animal field, companies, private entities, academic and governmental institutions, and NPO/NGO.
- Scientific advisor at Portuguese Animal Observatory.
- Author and contributor in the development of technical manuals, translation, articles, among other work in the scientific community.
- Companion animals and human relationship in society (anthrozoology) independent researcher and implementer in animal training, studying the professionals daily life challenges and give them professional mentoring tools and practical skills.
- Advisor in team management and leadership for companies.
- BSc in Ethology, from Bircham University (finalist.)
- Expert (degree) Diploma in Human-Animal Studies/Anthrozoology, from Bircham University.
- Diploma in Advanced Applied Ethology (dogs, cats, horses), from Ethology Institute Cambridge (Equiv. to a BSc in science.)
- Diploma in Applied Pet Ethology (cats and horses), from Ethology Institute Cambridge.
- Diploma in Applied Canine Ethology, from Ethology Institute Cambridge.
- Certified Professional Dog Trainer, from Ethology Institute Cambridge.
- Specialist Diploma in Canine Nutrition, Pet Nutrition, Raw Food, Canine Homeopathy and Herbalism, from DNM University.
- Professional Instructor of Instructors Diploma-teaching and research (license 2444); Certified Juez CCE (license 2674); Diploma and professional license of dog trainer (license 3745), behaviorist (license 3746), and dog training certification in defense and surveillance operations (license 3747) (ANACP).
- Military Dog Trainer Certificate (Portuguese Air Force).
- Animal Assisted Therapy/Activities Certificate (Harcum College).
- Comprehensive Canine Behaviour & Aggression Therapy Certificate-highest honors (CCS).
- Certified Pet Dog Trainer/Behaviour Therapist with IPDTA Certification (CCS).
- Academy of Dog Training & Behaviour Approved Instructor (ADTB).
- Auxiliary Veterinary Technician Diploma (Master-D).
- Canine Good Citizen (CGC), Puppy, Urban and Community Canine, Trick Dog (license 92303)and AKC Temperament Test (ATT) Approved Evaluator (license 107545) by American Kennel Club (AKC), and officially authorized by AKC to use the CGC program outside the US. He implemented the program for one year in Portugal, adapting it to the theoretical and practical program he already used (and uses) for the individual dog owners education.
- Portuguese Instruction Skills License- CAP/CCP F584684 (Administration Business School).
- Certified education in Critical thinking; Leadership, Life Coaching (ACELC, PCELC Accreditation) and Mentoring; Human-Companion Animals interaction; Behavior Management and Psychology; Psychosociology at work and interpersonal skills management; Social psychopedagogy; CBT; NLP (ABNLP); Lean expert; Project and quality management; ISO 9001:2015 System auditor.
- During his professional career, since 2003, he worked and co-worked through several areas, schools and companies of animal field (operational/military, sports/competition, social, educational, breeds club, pet sitting, dog walking, shelters, hotels, animal centers). He is also a former member of institutions such as APDT, PDTE, and PPG.
- Monthly articles in the Portuguese newspaper “Os bichos”.
- Commentary about the use of shock collars. Portuguese newspaper “Os bichos”.
- Interview for the Portuguese newspaper “Notícias de Loures”
- Commentary about the dangerous breeds in Portugal. Portuguese newspaper “Notícias de Loures”
- Article about puppies at “Bark Magazine”
From Dr. Roger Abrantes
From the first moment, I met Roberto, I identified in him some of the unique characteristics that distinguish the competent from the excellent student. It was quite evident that he had a good head and flair for animal training. However, what struck me most were his above-average determination and dedication to learning.
Roberto took one course at the time even having to leave his country, traveling a long way, to complete his mandatory practical training and proficiency verifications.
All that, he did without complaint, and with the same eager and determination, he showed on his very first day at the Institute.
I was, personally, especially pleased the day he graduated as CAAE. The EIC had one more high-quality graduate and the animal training world one more excellent trainer and instructor.
It has, indeed, been a privilege to have been Roberto’s tutor. I’ve been fortunate to have had a fair number of exceptional students throughout my long 30+ years career. Among them, a dozen or so stand head and shoulders above all others; Roberto is one of them.
Portugal and the Lusophone community are fortunate to have Roberto Barata. With him, animals, animal trainers, and owners are in good hands.
Ph.D. in Evolutionary Biology and Ethology
Ethology Institute Cambridge—Scientific Director
Roberto Barata is an Ethology Institute Approved Regional Education Provider (AREP), Tutor and Ambassador. This restricted international approval ensures high standards of the content and quality of all courses and services provided by him, including a respectful relationship with the natural needs of other species.
Roberto Barata is a trainer who has successfully passed the International Positive Dog Training Association’s theoretical and practical certification and belongs to a restricted group of certified trainers.
This international certification ensures that all methods and behavior modification protocols do not include physical abuse, violence or harmful techniques to other species.